Monday, December 20, 2010

What ever happened to Respect, Responsibility and Common Sense?

I am not my father, but, in my old age things seem to bug me a lot more than they used to... or things are just getting worse!

Lets start with Driving! where has common courtesy and "defensive" driving gone. I have been cut off more times in the last week. People aren't looking over a shoulder, using a blinker, giving the right-a-way... and the talking on the phone... hell, I was almost run off the road by a guy with an ipad on his lap, and on the phone. Remember...
*USE A BLINKER, it's that thing on the left of the steering wheel
*If you talk on a phone, your eyes still work
*The guy on the right has the "right" of way
*Slow down, you will still get there
*Breaking Distance. Damn it, I drive a big van full of Comic Book, don't slip in front of me and slow
   down... I still use the "3 second rule", it works.

 I mean, really, everyone reading this... have you ever seen a dead person on the road up close? I have! Nightmares... and I mean it... Nightmares. If you haven't seen the movie "Red Asphalt", watch it. It was an early wake up call for me. Simple Common Sense, pass it on!

Next is Simple Respect. Respect...RESPECT, find out what that means to me R*E*S*P*E*C*T. Open the door for another person, don't forget your pleases and thank you's, smile, be positive. Respect is something given freely, and needs to be earned in return. I hate when I hear "he didn't respect me", cause I respond... Did you show them respect first? Life is about being Happy, and Happiness comes with respect... respect for other people, property, animals, authority, rules (not always law, but rules) and space.

Last and probably most important is "Responsibility". When did people stop take personal responsibility for themselves and what they do? I am not perfect, but, when i screw up, I say "sorry" or admit my mistakes. I am tired of life excuses, I understand the government not taking responsibility (They suck), but people have lost the ability to take responsibility for their actions, their work, their screw-ups, their life.

Sometimes I love what I do, working out of my house 5 days a week, I love the fact that I am away from the stupidity of people (and I live in Bakersfield... LOTS of Stupidity). I (and most people my age) were raised to respect others, our elders... to take responsibility when we screw up ... and some amount of common sense. I get tired sometimes. I hope I don't offend any friends, most my friends are NOT in these categories, I am talking about the people who feel they "deserve"... Work for it, Earn it, feel the self worth of of doing something for yourself.

We all have to live in this world together, by god, act like you want it to get better.

1 comment: